Pages

Monday, September 8, 2014

That 70's Skirt

This weekend I set out to do something unheard of - sew something simple!  I am also on a serious fabric buying diet right now, so stash diving it was.  I started by getting out my little big box of vintage patterns (I am a pattern addict too) and started on the search for a vintage design.  I found this  70's Marie Osmond wrap skirt and fell in love.

I went stash diving and found this lovely bottom weight Hawaiian print cotton blend. It has some stretch in it so there must by some nylon in it.  It is a sateen for sure though.  I have a ton of this stuff so I will be making a matching crop top soon. 

The pattern was already cut to a medium, which should have been my size, but it turned out too big.  I ended up removing 4" from the sides and bottom for a perfect overlap.  I left out the pocket since I felt it broke up the print too much.  I used simple black cotton bias binding all around.  The skirt is supposed to tie, but I hate ties so I used a hook and eye and snap for a closure.  A little vintage wood button from my stash finished off the waistband.

 



I had a lot of fun making this.  I think it took about three hours with little people interruptions and tea breaks.  I will for sure be making more versions of this pattern.  Up next is a leather mini version.

What do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments Welcome!